
They are the markings on her back following her appointment with the allergist today. I was wishing that I had taken my camera along and would have gotten a pic of what she looked like when it was first done. You can't really even see the poke marks here, but they were very red at first. She got poked 48 times total. There was a row of pokes coming down from each number. I inverted the picture here because then you can see the pokes very faintly if you look. Her whole tiny little back was covered in pokes.
Anyway, no definite answers as of yet, other than her reflux has become very severe and it is suspected that it may be allergy related, and also that she may have had some acid make it's way up the tube that goes to the ear and may have that in there, which would explain that even though they are not infected, she keeps screaming and grabbing them. But, since we weren't able to determine a specific cause of the allergy at this point, we have been instructed to stop all solids and go back to only breastfeeding/breastmilk. This is NOT going to be easy for a 9 month old! (Or me...being the sole source of nutrition for her, when she was up to 3 feedings of solids per day in addition to her 3-4 nursing sessions). She enjoys food and knows what it is, so we are almost going to have to sneak around her when we eat so she doesn't see it. If we need to, we can supplement with some special formula...you know...the kind that costs $30 for a small can...yeah, that kind.
If she doesn't seem to improve soon, then my diet will be the next thing to change. I will go on a very restrictive diet to see if it could be an allergy to something I'm eating. If that still doesn't help, then she'll see a Gastroenterologist to see why she's not tolerating solids very well.
I'm sure there's more, as we felt like we took in a ton of information today. But, I guess those are the main points. She'll also go back to the Allergist for a follow up in 3 months.
3 comments:
Poor little sweeite. I can't imagine 48 pokes. How did she do? I think I would have to leave the room as I couldn't watch all that. Bummer about having to limit her to only milk for awhile. I know that's going to be tough. You can do it though and hopefully get to the source of what she's allergic to and go from there.
Oh, poor baby girl! So sorry she had to through all that, with no defenite answers. That stinks! How did they suggest you up your milk production? Stress from work has made mine go down and I would love to raise it again. It was nice to see you the other day at the doc's office. Your kiddos are adorable!
Hugs!
Well, that is not very encouraging news!! And poor little thing with all those pokes! That must have been awful to watch! I hope she improves being on just milk, but that will be so hard for her to not have food either (hard for you and her!). I hope you don't have to change your diet--when I was off of dairy and such a for a couple of months it was torture--it was a good diet plan though:-). I hope she feels better soon so and that you can figure out what it is exactly that she's allergic to.
Post a Comment